Biography of President Saddam Hussein,
President of the Republic of Iraq
· Born on April 28, 1937, in Tikrit, the seat of the Saladdin
Province where he finished his primary school.
· Married with five children: two boys and three girls.
· Escaped to Syria and thence to Egypt where he completed his
secondary school studies in 1962.
· Admitted into the College of Law in Cairo and attended in the period 1962-1963.
· Having completed his third and fourth year of studies, following the July 17th Revolution, he obtained a graduate degree from the College of Law.
· On February 1, 1976, he was awarded a Master of Art Honors Degree in Military Science together with the Staff Degree.
· In 1984, the University of Baghdad awarded him Honorary Doctorate in Law.
· Joined the Arab Baath Socialist Party (A.B.S.P) in 1956
· Arrested and imprisoned for six months, while he was a secondary school student, over the years 1958 and 1959 for his political activities against the regime at the time. He took part in the revolutionary operation against the dictator Abdul-Karim Qassim who was Prime Minister in 1959. The operation resulted in the dictator receiving several shots. Saddam Hussein was wounded in the leg as a result a shot fired from a bodyguard.
· Sentenced to death in absentia on February 25, 1960.
· Returned to Iraq after the 14th of Ramadhan Revolution (February 8) 1963.
· Discontinued his studies at the college, when in 1963 he had to return to Baghdad to lead the revolutionary struggle against the reactionary draconian regime that had previously toppled the Baath Government.
· He was not spared by the round-up campaign waged by the authorities that began on September 4, 1964. He was arrested on October 14, 1963, with charges relating to his leadership of the Baath Party's struggle against the backward regime.
· While he was under arrest, he completed and passed his first year studies at the College of Law.
· Elected as member of the Baath Party's Pan-Arab National Leadership in 1965 while still under arrest.
· In September 1966, he was elected Deputy-Secretary General of the Baath Party Leadership in Iraq.
· Escaped from prison in 1967, to resume the leadership of the Baath Party struggle. He was once again obliged to discontinue his studies because he was chased by the secret police.
· On July 17,1968, mounting the first tank that besieged the headquarters (the Presidential Palace) of the head of the regime, he led a group of Party members that forced their way into the palace in order to overthrow the reactionary regime. Saddam Hussein played a leading and key role in planning and then carrying out the Revolution that day.
· On July 30, 1968, he was personally in charge of a swift operation to purge the new government of the July 17 Revolution of certain of the old regime's figures, who for purely tactical reasons, cooperated with the Baath Party revolutionaries.
· He all but officially undertook the role of Vice-Chairman of the Revolutionary Command Council as early as July 1968; but was constitutionally elected for the post of Vice-Chairman on November 9, 1969.
· On June 1, 1972, he led the process of nationalizing Western oil companies that had the monopoly of Iraq's oil.
· On July 1, 1974, he was dubbed the rank of Lieutenant General and awarded the Rafidain Order, First Class (of Military type).
· He played a principle role in formulating and implementing the Autonomy Law for the Kurdish citizens on March 11, 1974.
· On October 8, 1977, he was elected Assistant Secretary General of the National Pan-Arab Leadership of the Baath Party.
· On July 16, 1979, he was elected Secretary General of the Regional
Leadership of the Baath Party in Iraq, Chairman of the Revolutionary Command
Council, and President of the Republic of Iraq.
· On July 17, 1979, President Saddam Hussein was promoted to the rank of Field Marshal.
· On October 8, 1979, he was elected Deputy Secretary General of the National Pan-Arab Leadership of the Baath Party.
· On September 4, 1980, President Saddam Hussein led the Iraqi people and the Army wisely and bravely against the aggression initiated and launched against Iraq by Ayatollah Khomeini's regime. The war ended in Iraq's great victory on August 8, 1988.
· On July 30, 1983, he was dubbed the Revolution Order First Class.
· On April 28, 1988, he was dubbed the Order of the people.
· President Saddam Hussein actively led the modernization of the Iraq economy, urging the construction of various developed industries and following their administration and execution. He also supervised the modernization of Iraq's countryside, the mechanization of agriculture, and the distribution of land to farmers. He effected a comprehensive revolution in energy industries as well as in public services such as transportation and education. He also initiated and led the National Campaign for the Eradication of Illiteracy and the implementation of Compulsory and Free Education in Iraq.
· Led his country in confronting the aggression launched by 33 countries led by the US that waged war against Iraq. The Iraqis' confrontation that is called by Arabs and Iraqis 'The Mother of all Battles' (Um Al-Maarik), is where Iraq stood strong against the invasion, maintaining its sovereignty and political system.
· President Saddam Hussein has published several works in the intellectual, political, economic, military, social, and educational fields. They are available in translation from Arabic in the basic world languages.
Examination of Saddam's reign
The survival of Saddam Hussein
Saddam early Life: for power and more
Saddam Hussein Iraq (lots of stuff on what
he did when he was in power)
Saddam Hussein rise to power
Saddam Hussein on Encarta
Hussein: The man the US loves to hate
Punish Saddam Hussein for his latest provocation
Lukashenka: Following in Saddam footsteps
Saddam Hussein Transcript of the speech
Saddam Hussein Role Profile
Saddam Hussein Bio
The man who ruled Iraq
Saddam Hussein executes15 opposition claims
Saddam Hussein Links
Spring 1996 Role Profile
Saddam Hussein praises Vietnam
Saddam Husseinís Iraq
Memo on Margin
Saddam Hussein and Iraq
Saddam Hussein Fan Club ( info, Pictures,
Can Saddam Hussein Be Trusted
Saddam Hussein: The Last Great Tyrant
Saddam Hussein Iraq
Laden USS Cole Bomb Link
Good Picture of Saddam Hussein
Saddam Hussein: Life and Times
Some info on Saddam Hussein
Watching Saddam Hussein
Saddam Hussein Stuff
Saddam Hussein Address to the Cabinet
Saddam Hussein in good Health
Saddam Hussein: his Life and Works
Saddam Hussein the evil dictator
Overthrowing Saddam Hussein
How to get ride of Saddam Hussein
How to overthrow Saddam Hussein
Saddam Hussein calls for war?
No Fly-Zone Between US and Iraq
Funny picture of Saddam Hussein
Saddam Hussein Home page