Primary Registration 2017
Information for Parents/Guardians of Students Entering School in September 2017
** Primary Registration for September 2017 will be extended to include February 21 through to February 24th at your neighbourhood school.
The Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board welcomes your child to Primary! We look forward to partnering with you as your child begins their important educational journey. The following outlines information for registration as well as some important links you may wish to review.
Grade Primary registration for the 2017-2018 school year will take place during the school day for the two-week period February 6 -17th. Parents are asked to visit the school during the instructional day to complete the required registration form.
To register for Primary:
- A child must have reached their fifth birthday on or before December 31, 2017 as per the Nova Scotia Education Act.
- Parents/guardians must present the following:
- the child's proof of age - original document : birth certificate, passport, immigration papers or adoption papers. The application for a birth certificate can be accessed at http://novascotia.ca/sns/access/vitalstats/birth-certificates.asp
- any legal documents related to custody arrangements if applicable
- health card number and expiry date at the time of registration.
- Proof of residency of the parent or guardian and student. This must include two items, at least one being from Category A below:
Category A: proof of ownership of dwelling or long-term lease or rental of dwelling; legal documents indicating NS residence; parent or guardian filing income tax returns as a NS resident
Category B: NS hydro bill, NS cable bill, Provincial driver’s license, Provincial registration of automobile, Canadian bank accounts or credit cards
- A child must be registered in the neighbourhood school where he/she resides. If not sure which school serves your home address, call the CBVRSB Transportation Division at 902-562-4595.
- Parents/guardians who reside separately and have joint custody must choose which of their
neighbourhood schools their child(ren) will attend.
- There is a section on the registration form to identify Ancestry and Aboriginal Identity which you are encouraged to complete. Accurate demographic information allows our school board to support students and their families by acknowledging and celebrating our rich cultural, racial and ethnic backgrounds. This information also assists our school board when seeking out resources and planning supports to better serve our students now and into their future.
Therefore we encourage all parents and students to identify their Ancestry and Aboriginal Identity.
- Parents/Guardians are encouraged to communicate, upon registration, any special needs of the child or area of concern ie:medical, behavior, speech, hearing etc so that appropriate planning for school entry can take place.
- Parents/Guardians will be notified by schools of a Primary Orientation session which will be held in May or June. At this time your child will attend school, become familiar with the facilities at the school and become comfortable with the classroom setting. Many sites also offer information sessions for parents as well.
Great Educational Links for Parents/Guardians
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development:
Let’s Play Together : a Guide for Parents of 4- year olds English
Toqi milita”nej Mi’kmaq
Jouons ensemble French
CBVRSB Student Services site containing information for parents/guardians of students with special needs.
National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) site about transitioning to primary
Plus supporting a love for reading and writing:
Math and Literacy Fun at Home:
Help Your Child Develop Early Math Skills
Literacy Activities for Children
- Students in the George D. Lewis catchment area are to register at Riverside Elementary at this time.
- Students in Florence are to register at Florence with September attendance at Dr. T.L Sullivan
- Those parents registering their child at Brookland Elementary are to register at Harbourside Elementary.