CLICK HERE FOR A MS WORD DOWNLOAD
The first contact a student teacher has with her/hisstudents often makes a lasting impression and sets the tone for the entireexperience. Here are some ideas on how to make that first impression apositive one.
* Be sure to smile.
* Write your name on the board. This helpsthe students remember your name and gives thema chance to write it down.
* Pronounce your name slowly and clearly.If your name is unusual or difficult to pronounce, youmay want to talk about the origin of your name.
* Talk about your teaching experience oryour motivation for becoming a teacher. Be creative.
* Communicate your expectations. You arethere to teach, but you also are there to learn.
* Let your students know what you expectof them. This can help motivate them to do goodwork.
* Take a deep breath and go for it! Youare about to embark on a wonderful adventure.
Here is one example ofhow to introduce yourself
as a student teacher:
Hello, my name isXxxxx Xxxxxxxxx. I am a student teacher. This means that I have finishedall of my college classes and I am almost ready to become a full-time teacher.I am here so that I can practice what I've learned in my classes. I alsowant to learn from you about what works and what doesn't.
I am a seniorat the university and I've been a counselor at camp Whattablast for thepast three summers. Last year, I was a peer tutor in Social Studies andI occasionally give swimming lessons. Because I will be trying some newapproaches, I will rely on your feedback to let me how they are working.I want you to feel comfortable letting me know that "today's classwas really fun," or " that group project was a waste of time."Preferably, you would let me know these things by writing a note or talkingto me before or after class.
Your comments canhelp guide our classroom activities. Finally, I know that I willbe spending a lot of time creating lesson plans, grading papers, and generallypreparing for each day. I promise to put forth my best effort so that wecan all get something out of this. In return, I expect that you will allshow me an honest effort and that you will each try to do your best work.
Also, I want tothank Ms/Mr. Xxxxxxx for allowing me to teach in her/his classroom. Doesanyone have a question?
THIS IS JUST A SAMPLE, BUT IT MIGHTGIVE YOU SOME IDEAS -- GOOD LUCK