CLICK HERE FOR A MS WORD DOWNLOAD
First Day of School
The first day of school can be a terrific challenge. Establishing rapport is one of the initial goals. The following exercise facilitates the process:
* Students will get to know me
* Students will demonstrate their ability to reflect upon themselves and their accomplishments by writing on the very first day
* I will learn something interesting/memorable about my students
Grade level and subject area: 7-12/All
Activities and strategies:
1. I introduce myself.
2. I discuss some of my highs and lows (dreams and disappointments) while referring to my posted copy of the sheet (see above).
3. I ask students to think of some of their own disappointments and rewards and to write them down on a sheet like the image above.
4. Students look over their papers, thinking of the stories behind each of the things they've written.
5. I tell three stories of my own:
a) (1-2 minutes) A story about something funny that happened to me.
b) (15-30 seconds) A story about something I know nothing about. This shows that we can't speak about something we don t know about.
c) (1-2 minutes) I tell a story about something that happened when I was a child.
6. Students write a story about a topic that they know well.
Back To Contents