CLICK HERE FOR A MS WORD DOWNLOAD
Strategies for teachers to use to help raise student self-esteem.
Grade Level and Subject Area:
All grades. Any subject area.
* Use student names
* Shake hands with the students
* Have conversations with every student
* Provide multiple ways for students to be successful in your class
* Display student work
* Give each student a responsibility in the classroom
* Provide opportunities for student work to be judged by external audiences
* Take time to point out positive aspects of your students' work
* Never criticize a student's question
* Take time to help struggling students understand the material
* Try to get to know about the student's life outside of school
* Ask students about their other activities (ex. "How was the soccer game, Natalie?")
* Help students turn failure into positive learning experience
* Encourage students to take risks
* Provide opportunities for students to make their own decisions about certain aspects of your class - maybe what kind of paper to use, what colors to make something, etc.
* Provide opportunities for students to work with each other
* Don't make assumptions about student behavior
* Allow students to suffer the consequences of their behavior - don't be overprotective
* Allow students to explore options in different situations
* Celebrate your student's achievements, no matter how small