CLICK HERE FOR A MS WORD DOWNLOAD
GRADE LEVEL/SUBJECT: 5th grade
This activity can be adapted to any grade level from the 5th up.
This activity is a multi-curriculum experience. Math, language arts, geography and social studies skills are exercised in this assignment. The students create a travel brochure for a geographic location. The areas to be considered by the students will depend a lot on the age and the extent the prerequisites (listed below ) are mastered by the students.
Purpose is to give students an opportunity to be creative; develop a brochure that can include travel scheduling, geographical features, illustrations, and sharpen language arts skills.
Objective is to increase student awareness of geography, become familiar with geographic features and historical sites.
* Atlas/maps * encyclopedias * art materials * paper * time
1. Students need to be able to add and subtract time, and be familiar with time zones. The extent depends on ability of the students.
2. Understand map scales and be able to determine distances of a map.
3. Be familiar with the Prime Meridian and the International Date Line.
ACTIVITIES AND PROCEDURES:
Students select a geographic location and create a travel brochure, with pictures, narrative, travel schedules etc., for that specific area.
Students will do the following:
1. Create a travel schedule from their home town to their specific location. Students should figure travel time based on an average speed. If they use air transportation , the question should be asked how far can an airplane fly without refueling? .
2. Develop a narrative describing historical and interesting sites within their travel area, that a traveler should visit.
3. Illustrate to the degree possible some "things that might entice one to visit their reporting location.
4. After the above has been completed assemble their brochure and then each student will orally invite the class to travel to his/her location, and then display their work in the classroom.
Back To Contents