SEQUENCING OF EVENTS
CLICK HERE FOR A MS WORD DOWNLOAD
GRADE LEVEL/SUBJECT: Appropriate for grades 5 -12
To make learning history fun use a visual symbolic timeline to review a specific time period.
The purpose of this activity is to enable students to sequence events and to tie together in visual form a specific period in history.
As a result of this activity, the students will:
1. Select important dates/events in a specific time period.
2. Draw a symbol representing that date/event stimulating their creativity.
3. Arrange these dates/events in correct sequence on a timeline with their appropriate symbol stressing good spacing.
4. This activity works best after the material has been discussed and then students can tie together a time period. It can serve as an excellent review technique.
2. Sample of various kinds of timelines
3. Show creative symbols which will spark their own creativity
ACTIVITIES AND PROCEDURES:
1. Have students select any specific number of dates/ events from a time period in history (e.g. the 1920's and 1930's).
2. Make a rough draft of their dates/events with an appropriate symbol for each event.
3. Arrange each date/event with appropriate symbol on a timeline with 4 dates/events above the timeline and 4 dates/events below the timeline (i.e. if using 8 dates/events) or simply divide a paper into equal parts and put dates/events into each part in correct sequence.
4. Color in dates/events and symbol.
5. Have students discuss and explain their timeline.
TYING IT ALL TOGETHER
1. Share timelines and display around the room
2. Excellent way to reach all students and let them express themselves artistically and learn and relate historical facts.
Back To Contents