RELEASE OF STUDENT RECORDS
PROGRAMS & STUDENT SERVICES: 200
Release of Student Records: PSS 235
Revised: January 2005
This policy covers the release of student records.
To ensure the release of student records is in accordance with the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board Policies and Procedures.
It is the policy of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board that Schools under the jurisdiction of the Board will be governed by the following:
1. Student records will not be released without the written consent of the parent/guardian or, if nineteen years or older, the student.
2. Student records are confidential and should remain so unless necessary for professional evaluation within the school system.
3. Information can be released without parent or student permission under legal compulsion or in cases where the safety of persons or property is involved.
4. Principals, in releasing information, must release only a copy of the record if the material is going outside the system. All original records must remain within the school system.
This policy has been authorized by the Board under motions number....
It is the responsibility of the Director of Programs and Student Services to ensure that this policy and administrative procedures are implemented.
The Coordinator of School Services will implement the policy and administrative procedures.
1. Parents/guardians are entitled to have access to their child's records.
2. In the event of separation, unless under a custodial order made by the Court or agreed to in a separation agreement, both parents still have right to access to the child's records.
3. When an Order of the Court has been made or a Separation Agreement signed, it is incumbent upon the custodial parent to present the Order or Agreement to the Principal of the school.
4. In cases where the custodial parent is female and wishes to use her maiden name, the child’s name must remain as it was before the separation unless the name has been legally changed. This should be verified by a copy of the change being presented to the principal and kept on file.
Education Act, Regulations under the Act.
This policy will be reviewed by the Director of Programs and Student Services within three years from the authorization date.
All Policy Manual Holders