CANCELLATION OF CLASSES
(DUE TO AN OUTBREAK OF INFLUENZA)
Cancellation of Classes (Due to Outbreak of Influenza): PSS 221
Adoption Date: October 25, 1999
Revised: January 2005
To provides all schools with a policy on school cancellation due to an outbreak of influenza.
To determine what absentee rate, due to an outbreak of influenza, will necessitate the cancellation of classes for all students for one or more days.
It is the policy of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board that when the number of students absent due to a flu outbreak reaches 51%, classes will be cancelled for all students in the school or schools affected.
This policy has been authorized by the Board under motions number....
It is the responsibility of the Director of Programs and Student Services to ensure that this policy and administrative procedures are implemented.
The Co-ordinator of School Services will implement the policy and administrative procedures.
- When the number of students in a school approaches 40%, the Principal is to contact the Department of Health to determine if there is a health problem in the area served by the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board.
- If it is determined that there is an outbreak of influenza in our area, the Principal is to notify the Co-ordinator of School Services that there is a serious health concern in his/her school.
- The absenteeism rate is to be carefully monitored and reported to the Co-ordinator of School Services. Once the rate reaches the range of 50% of the schools' student population and it is determined that this absenteeism is due largely to the outbreak of influenza, the school will advise the Co-ordinator of School Services.
- The Co-ordinator of School Services will then advise the Director of Programs & Student Services of this fact who will recommend to the Superintendent of Schools that classes for all students in the affected school(s) be cancelled until further notice.
- Teachers and all of the support staff will report to the school for work during this day(s).
This policy will be reviewed by Director of Programs and Student Services within three years from the authorization date.
All Policy Manual Holders