PROGRAMS & STUDENT SERVICES: 200
Fire Drills: PSS 223
Adoption Date: October 25, 1999
Revised: January 2005
This policy applies to all schools under the jurisdiction of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board.
To comply with the Fire Prevention Act requirement that all schools have an emergency evacuation procedure in place.
It is the policy of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board that the need exists for a planned program of fire drills to ensure a safe environment for all personnel and pupils. The procedures outlined are to be followed by all schools under the jurisdiction of the Board.
The policy has been authorized by the Board under motions number ...
It is the responsibility of the Director of Programs and Student Services to ensure that this policy and administrative procedures are implemented.
The Co-ordinator of School Services will implement the policy and administrative procedures.
1. The Co-ordinator of School Services shall ensure that all schools comply with the requirements of the Provincial and Municipal fire safety regulations.
2. It is the responsibility of the principal in each school to establish written procedures, including the duties of staff members, for the evacuation of each building in the case of an emergency or fire drill.
3. The principal shall co-operate with the personnel from local fire departments regarding inspection and fire drills.
4. Fire alarms must be maintained so as to be audible in all parts of the school and shall be tested by the maintenance personnel, with a record kept of each test and the performance of the system.
5. The maintenance personnel shall ensure that fire extinguishers are of an approved type--as recommended by the Regional Fire Service or the Fire Marshall--and are in appropriate locations and operative.
6. The principal shall keep a record of the dates on which fire drills were conducted, the length of time taken for evacuation, and any comments regarding areas of concern during the fire drill.
7. No entrance or emergency exit doors may be blocked, barred or locked in an area of the building being used.
8. The principal shall ensure that all students and staff leave the building when the alarm is sounded.
9. The principal shall have posted in each classroom the exit route students in that room will follow during an evacuation.
10. During the first week of school, the principal shall advise the staff and pupils of fire drill procedures. A minimum of six (6) fire drills will be held throughout the school year, with or without advanced warning. Two drills are to be held in the fall, two in the winter, and two in the spring.
11. Teachers are required to take the register or class list with them to assist with pupil accounting.
11.1 All persons shall proceed to a pre-determined point of safety and remain there until a check is made to account for everyone in the building.
11.2 Teachers are required to maintain order and discipline at all times during the evacuation procedures.
11.3 When teachers have completed their accounting of students, the principal shall be informed of the results of the accounting.
11.4 No persons shall return to the school until directed to do so by a verbal command from the principal or principal designate.
12. All fire drills will be initiated with the fire alarm system.
13. Schools with portables not attached to the main building will:
13.1 have fire drills for portables that are separate from the fire drill for the main building;
13.2 not evacuate the portables during the fire drills in the main building.
14. Teachers shall place themselves, during the evacuation, in a position that will enable them to give students direction in the event that the designated exit route is blocked or unsafe for use.
15. When children in wheelchairs are located on a floor other than the ground floor:
15.1 the person(s) responsible for their care will be informed in advance that there will be a fire drill;
15.2 the student will not be evacuated for the purpose of the drill, but will be taken to a designated safe place and will be prepared for evacuation.
16. Prior to a fire drill, the school will call the appropriate fire department to inform them that the school is holding a fire drill.
This policy will be reviewed by the Director of Programs and Student Services within three years from this authorization date.
All Policy Manual Holders