OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH AND SAFETY
HUMAN RESOURCES: 300
Occupational Health & Safety: HR 306
Adoption Date: October 1999
This policy covers all employees at all work sites within the jurisdiction of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board.
To promote safe work practices by all employees in a safe and secure work environment.
It is policy of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board to adhere to and implement the statutory provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act. The Board will endeavour to create a healthy and safe working environment by providing such information, instruction, training, supervision and facilities as are necessary for the health and safety of employees. As the employer, the Board accepts its responsibilities under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and expects all participants in the workplace to also accept their responsibilities to the extent of their authority and ability.
Education Act and Regulations, Building Code and Fire Safety Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act
The Criminal Code
This policy is authorized by the Board under motion number...........
It is the responsibility of the Director of Human Resources to implement this policy and administrative procedure.
The Occupational Health and Safety Officer will implement the following administrative procedures.
1. Occupational Health and Safety Committees or representatives will be established at each work site.
2. Principals and supervisors will be trained and held responsible for ensuring that employees under their supervision a) adhere to this policy, b) use safe work practices and receive training to protect their health and safety, c) and have a general responsibility for ensuring the safety of equipment and buildings.
3. It is the responsibility of each employee to report to the principal or supervisor, as soon as possible, any hazardous condition, injury, accident or illness related to the workplace.
4. Employees must protect their health and safety by complying with the applicable Acts and Regulations and following the policies, procedures, rules and instructions as prescribed by the Board.
5. The Board may provide an opportunity for the establishment of an umbrella Occupational Health and Safety Committee to assist in promoting legislative compliance and safety and education.
Committee membership forms
Monthly reporting forms
This policy will be reviewed on an annual basis by the Director of Human Resources.
This policy will be distributed to all work sites under the jurisdiction of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board.