SAFETY ON SCHOOL GROUNDS
OPERATIONAL SERVICES: 400
Safety on School Grounds: OST 415
This policy applies to all personnel who drive a vehicle, of any kind, on and around school grounds.
To ensure the safety of all students, staff and Board personnel while on school grounds.
It is the policy of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board to ensure students, staff and Board Personnel are safe while on school grounds.
This policy has been authorized by the Board under motions number....
It is the responsibility of the Director of Operational Services to ensure that this policy and administrative procedures are implemented.
The Coordinator of Transportation will implement the policy and administrative procedures.
1) Parking areas will be designated for staff, students and other authorized persons. (Authorized persons are defined as persons with permission to visit the school).
2) School grounds will be off limits to all other unauthorized vehicles. This includes parents driving their children to or from school.
a) Where possible, schools should have designated traffic patterns, with separate entrances and exits.
b) Entrances and exits to all school grounds are to be kept clear of parked vehicles at all times.
c) No parking in any area that will cut down the turning area of busses.
d) Designated loading zones for buses will not be used for play areas for students.
e) Motorcycles and bicycles to be considered ‘private vehicles’ and are to use designated parking areas.
f) Snowmobiles are not authorized on school grounds except in emergencies.
4) When school buses are in operation on school grounds, all other vehicle traffic must follow the following guidelines:
a) No traffic permitted to pass a school bus that is loading or unloading students in a school yard.
b) When school buses are present, teachers and students who bring their own cars to school must remain in their parking place until the school buses have loaded and departed.
5) Students using buses must be instructed regularly by bus drivers to the proper way to load and unload buses. This includes while waiting for a bus. These students are to wait well back until the bus has come to a complete stop and then proceed to load in an orderly manner.
6) Students walking to or from school, or students waiting for a late bus, must keep main driveway clear so as not to impede authorized traffic from leaving or entering the school yard.
Education Act, Regulations under this act.
Motor Carrier Act
This policy will be reviewed by Director of Operational Services within three years from the authorization date.
All Policy Manual Holders