PROGRAMS & STUDENT SERVICES: 200
Student Accidents: PSS 239
Adoption Date: October 25, 1999
Revised: January 2005
This policy applies to all schools within the jurisdiction of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board in the case of student accident and injury.
To ensure that correct procedures are followed in all schools in the case of student injury from an accident.
It is the policy of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board that all principals comply with the outlined procedures for all serious student accidents occurring within the school, on school grounds, or during any school-related activity.
This policy has been authorized by the Board under motions number…
It is the responsibility of the Director of Programs and Student Services to ensure that this policy and administrative procedures are implemented.
The Coordinator of School Services will implement the policy and administrative procedures.
The following procedure is to be followed in all cases of accidents, which occur within the school, on school grounds, or during any school-related activity:
- The person trained in first aid should be contacted immediately.
- The Principal or his/her designate is to immediately notify the parent or guardian.
- The Principal or his/her designate must determine whether to call an ambulance or move the student to a hospital doctor or home.
- The Principal or his/her designate should next notify the Co-ordinator of School Services.
- The Principal or his/her designate must then complete the School Incident Report Form and send it to the Coordinator of School Services.
- The Co-ordinator of School Services forwards copies of the school incident report form to the required personnel.
- Any eligible expenses associated with an accident should be claimed by the parent/guardian obtaining and completing the “Student Accident Policy Claim Form.”
Incident/Accident Report Form
Student Accident Claim Form
This policy will be reviewed by Director of Programs and Student Services within three years from the authorization date.
All Policy Manual Holders