PROGRAMS & STUDENT SERVICES: 200
Summer School: PSS 244
Adoption Date: October 25, 1999
Revised: January 2005
This policy covers the provisions of summer school to the students of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board.
To provide the rules and regulations covering summer school.
It is the policy of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board that summer school will be conducted under the procedures and guidelines enclosed.
This policy has been authorized by the Board under motions number....
It is the responsibility of the Director of Programs and Student Services to ensure that this policy and administrative procedures are implemented.
The Coordinator of School Services will implement the policy and administrative procedures.
1. A student registering for summer school will be accepted under the following conditions:
1.1 Junior High students who require promotion in one subject in which they have received a minimum mark of 35 in order to complete their pass requirements to the next grade may be eligible for summer school;
1.2 Senior High students who have failed in a particular subject area in which they have received a minimum mark of 35 may be eligible for summer school;
1.3 Students may register for one course only;
1.4 Students must attend all sessions unless excused. Attendance is compulsory;
1.5 Students will write an exam worth 60% at the termination of summer school. The remaining 40% will be based on weekly assessment at 10% of each of the weeks duration.
1.6 Since summer school is viewed as an extension of the regular year and the regular year’s program, the student’s final mark for the year which includes summer school, will be determined at the rate of 40% for the regular year’s work, plus 60% of his/her summer school work.
2. The courses to be offered at summer school will be determined by student demand for a particular subject.
3. Being able to offer any course is subject to qualified local staff being available.
4. For all grades, no course will be offered for fewer than ten (10) students.
5. Registration forms must be completed by the last day of school in June.
6. Students will be responsible for reaching the summer school location.
7. Summer school will be at one school in each of the following areas:
7.1 Northside area
7.2 Glace Bay area
7.3 Sydney area
8. Summer school marks will be accepted as a final mark for all schools in the Region.
9. Classes will be held during the month of July - Mornings Only.
10 If the course failed is offered, a student must enrol in that course at summer school before that student can progress to the next academic level, unless there are reasonable and extenuating circumstances to the contrary.
11. All exceptional cases must be referred, prior to the commencement of summer school, to Coordinator of Program Services (7-12) and Coordinator of School Services for consideration and approval.
12. It will be the responsibility of the summer school Coordinator, in consultation with the school Principal, to establish a registration procedure for students attending summer school.
This policy will be reviewed by Director of Programs and Student Services within three years from the authorization date.
All Policy Manual Holders