SmartSection is developed by The SmartFactory (http://www.smartfactory.ca), a division of INBOX Solutions (http://inboxinternational.com)
Highlights of the Regular Board Meeting, June 25, 2007
Published by Norma Baxter [Norma Baxter
] on 01/25/2008 (2855 reads)
CB-VRSB Central Office, Sydney, NS
Highlights of the Regular Board Meeting, June 25/07
- The Board was informed that most secondary schools in the board, through the use of Winschool student information software, have been successful in producing a digital/electronic report card. The recent acquisition of Outcomes student information software for Bridgeport, Donkin and George D. Lewis schools now ensures that all secondary schools can meet the obligation of producing a digital/electronic report card.
- On Friday, June 22, 2007, the fourth annual golf tournament in support of Breakfast for Learning was held at Bell Bay, Baddeck. This was the largest number of teams to ever participate in the event. The entire event coordination was done by Debbie Madore, including finding participants, selling advertisement and soliciting prizes. George MacDonald, Committee Chair, also thanked the group for participating and commended her work in coordinating the event.
- The Board was brought up-to-date on the status of the seven Youth Health Centers that provide health services to our students. It was noted that tremendous support has been extended to enable improvements in the provision of this service to our students by Director of Regional Education Services, Jim Burton, and the former Director of Operational Services, Don Matheson. Their contributions have facilitated the provision of spaces in our schools respectful of the Standards of Youth Health Centres in Nova Scotia, as published by the Department of Health Promotion and Protection in 2006.
- The Board was informed that on April 4, 2007, new regulations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act were approved. These regulations ‘Respecting Violence in the Workplace,’ focus on the prevention of violence in high risk sectors. The regulations will be phased in gradually. A Violence Hazard Assessment must be completed in all our worksites by October 4, 2007. A Violence Prevention Plan must be in place to deal with the identified hazards in those worksites by April 4, 2008.
- The auditing firm of Roach Perry Anderson will present the audited Financial Statements and Report on Salaries and Expenses to the Audit Committee on July 3 and then to the full Board at a special meeting on July 9, 2007.
- end -
For more information, contact Superintendent of Schools, Ed Davis, at (902) 564-8293