Memorial High School, Sydney Mines, NS
Highlights of the Regular Board Meeting, September 25/07
– The Board was informed that the provincial school security committee met in Halifax on September 14 at the Department of Education. Work continues on provincial guidelines that will be used by boards to develop security policies. A meeting was also held with the new RCMP school security officer, Constable Ryan Lewis and Constable Ken Wallis of the Ingonish detachment to discuss programming and service options for the Victoria County schools in their jurisdiction.
– The Board was informed that a new web-based student information system will be implemented in Grades P-6 in the upcoming school year. This is a big step forward in the management of student information.
– Our Board is fortunate to be a host to two full-time Language Assistants. Since its establishment in 1973, the Official Language Monitor Program, has had over 30,000 monitors participate in the program across Canada. The aim of the Language Assistant program is to foster the use of Canada′s official languages by giving young people an opportunity to share their language and culture with students.
– Information sessions were held with Principals in family of schools to review the recently passed Violence in the Workplace regulations.
– Tenders were called for a provincial substitute placement system. Three submissions were evaluated and scored, resulting in two products considered to be acceptable. The Board was informed that further discussions will continue in an attempt to arrive at a consensus as to which product to recommend.
– The Board is in the process of finalizing the 2007/08 budget loads in the SAP finance module.
– The Board passed a new walking policy. Students from grades P-6 are walking 1 km. to school or to the nearest bus stop, and students in grades 7-12 are walking 2.5 km. to school or to the nearest bus stop.
For more information, contact Superintendent of Schools, Ed Davis, at (902) 564-8293
|Navigate through the articles|
|Highlights of the Regular Board Meeting, May 26, 2008||Highlights of the Regular Board Meeting, June 25, 2007|