Highlights of the Regular Board Meeting, March 29, 2010
Memorial High School
- On March 22, the Board met with their local MLA’s, and have emphasized to them that CBVRSB must maintain the quality of education for their students, as well as to be considerate for students of the future. While the provincial government maintains that CBVRSB has a responsibility to come up with answers to advise them how they may create revenues to fulfill the Board’s requests, we as a regional board have a greater responsibility to provide services to students in order to fulfill the mandates from the Department of Education in respect to student outcomes.
- Board Chair, Lorne Green, informed the Board that he and Fred Tilley, Board Vice-Chair met with CND in Halifax regarding the status of Holy Angels High. Chair Green stated that presently CND is having an appraisal done on the properties. Mr. Green added that it is their intent to sell the properties. A further report will be forthcoming at a later date.
- Jim Burton, Regional Education Officer, informed the Board that the work of the Superintendent Search Committee continues in accordance with the Policy and Procedures established by the Board.
- The Board was informed that negotiations continue with the NSTU on the local collective agreement.
- The Board was informed that meetings were held with substitute teachers to explain the updates needed to be completed by them for AESOP in relation to their qualifications and experience. It was explained at this time that once this was completed, Human Resources would be reviewing each substitute’s file to determine if they are qualified for the areas they indicated.
- The final agreement between the Board and CUPE local 5050 was signed off.
- The Board was informed that on January 21, a professional learning opportunity, “Instructional Support”, was offered to principals. The session was intended to support principals in their role as educational leaders in their prospective schools.
- On February 12 at 11 a.m., all schools across the Board were asked to sing the “2010 Fever” Olympic song written by Deb Murray( a retired CBVRSB teacher) arranged and recorded by BEC Music teacher, Stephen Muise. The vocals were by Jennifer Sheppard, Stephen Muise and students and BEC, and trumpet by Jordan Aucoin also from BEC. Students from Holy Angels handed the torch over to Central Office staff to complete the loop of the torch that travelled throughout the schools. This also signaled the day of the official Olympic opening ceremonies in Vancouver.
- The Board was informed that this semester 20 new students were welcomed to our Board from countries including Belgium, The Czech Republic, Colombia, Brazil, Korea, Japan, Mexico and Germany. Students had fantastic introductions to winter in Nova Scotia! Students arrived to the excitement of Coal, Red Cup, Winter Carnivals, not to mention many other winter activities. The Winter orientation for new students took place February 19-20.
· The Board was informed that the newly released Assistive Technology DVD has been nominated for a national award.
· The Board was informed that breakfast programs are up and running in 59/60 school sites.
- end -
For more information, contact Superintendent of Schools, Ed Davis, at (902) 564-8293