Highlights of the Regular Board Meeting
Rankin School of the Narrows
- Mr. Ambrose White, Acting Superintendent of Schools, stated that he looked forward to a strong relationship with all the elected school board members. Mr. White recognized the partnerships which the Board is fortunate enough to be a part of, such as: NSTU, NSSBA, ANSEA and the NS Federation of Home and School. He hoped that full cooperation would be amongst all the partners in facing the budgeting challenges everyone will experience. Local partners were also mentioned as partners in educating our diverse student population. The full report can be found on Board website at www.cbv.ns.ca.
- The Board Chair Lorne Green stated that the Board is “faced with new and greater challenges more so than we have dealt with over the past two years. We continue to respond to unfunded mandates from the Department of Education all the while dealing with local budget cutbacks.” He noted that one of our partners is the Cape Breton Post, and one of the forthcoming initiatives which the Board and Cape Breton Post will be participating in is the Raise-a-Reader Program.
- Mr. Paul Oldford was appointed Acting Director of Operations.
- Commissioner Flynn recognized Mr. Lowell Cormier, Principal, and Mount Carmel School for their recent Norman Connors Healthy School Award. The award recognizes and supports schools that promote healthy eating, active living, healthy growth, mental health, personal safety and injury prevention.
- Commissioner Pierrard recognized the Iona community and Rankin School for their hard work and commitment to the soccer field at the school site.
- end –
For more information, contact Acting Superintendent of Schools, Ambrose White, at (902) 564-8293